Thursday, July 26, 2012

BMX on The Bridge Fundraiser #1


Matt Patterson Tailwhip on the Wells Street Bridge
Photo: Stew Johnson

      Friday July 20th, 2012 was the date set for the BMX on the Bridge Fundraiser.  The fundraising initiave started out earlier this year on February 10th.
 I started thinking about my younger years of riding BMX in Fort Wayne.  We had Rockhill Park, a public BMX track that you could go to anytime the sun was up. A skatepark, Sweeney Park, that opened to bikes in the early 90's.  We also had the Ravine which was built with the blood, sweat, and tears of Fort Wayne area  BMX'ers since just before 1985. The Ravine stood strong until 2009 when  the City of Fort Wayne's Water Treatment Plant had to expand and the Ravine was leveled for good.  I realized that if something was not done soon, the BMX scene could be completely extinct as I knew it.  I wanted to do something for the future of BMX in Fort Wayne.  If I hadn't had a chance to ride my bike in my own city, who knows where I would be at this point in time.

      February 10, 2012, I got the 1st signature from Marty Bender for a  permit from the City to allow for a fundraising event on the Old Wells Street Bridge.  I got my 2nd signature from Denise Bruce on March 10th.  The final signature was signed on June, 14th 2012 by Michelle Nelson.  In that same time I was dealing with the Parks Department, as they owned the Bridge itself, the city permit was to close Cass Street.  Daryn Schwartz and Perry Ehresham from the Parks Department listened to my concerns about the Lawton Skatepark, mainly the fact that BMX'ers are getting ticketed, arrested, fined, and even have had their bikes impounded by the police.  We had a few meetings, and as time drew closer to the date we finally got together on a compromise.  A piece of land somewhere downtown, and a $25,000 grant will be set aside by the Parks Dept, Mayor Tom Henry, and the City of Fort Wayne to provide a Safe and Legal place for BMX riders to simply do what they enjoy.

      I personally want to thank every single person who came out the the event to support BMX in Fort Wayne.  I would also like to thank the many people from all around this great country who donated items, parts, money, time etc. for the cause.  The best thing about BMX is the fact that we are able to pull together to help one another.  I am proud to be a citizen of Fort Wayne and want to ensure that BMX will be here for future shredders!

      We still need about $23,000 to make it happen.  Be creative, ask people and businesses to donate money to a great cause!  See you at the next event!

Jacob "White Lion" Marks with a Flair on the Box Jump Lip.
Photo: Stew Johnson


A Look Downtown
Photo: Stew Johnson

Alex Magallan - Massive Tableltop!
Photo: Stew Johnson
The Run Up for the Box Jump Area

A Knox Indiana Rider I Believe!

Hoppe - Table Top to Disaster on the Box Landing

Jordan Stark Backflip

Manual on the Street Set Up

Matt P. Abubica X!

The hour long Raffle Ticket Call, Thanks to all of our Sponsors for helping
out and donating radical things for everyone!

Tuck No Hander!

Wysong!


The Prize Table!

Table Top!

The Event Set Up!

Here are some links to other stories about the event!

http://www.dans360.com/news.html  - Dans Comp

http://fbmbmx.com/blog/?p=9353 - FBM BMX

http://fbmbmx.com/blog/?p=9346 - FBM BMX

http://www.fortwaynescene.com/2012/07/01/bmx-biking/ - Fort Wayne Scene.xom

-Posted By Rich Hoppe

No comments:

Post a Comment